Sunday, August 21, 2022

Kindling a Light in the Darkness


When I retired, Nancy and I knew that it would be a while before we found our way back into the institutional church.  First off, we were busy moving, getting settled, traveling and then making room for Jessica, Sam, Hattie and Jude.  We still haven’t found our routine, but I know that it will come.  Second, we needed some time and space.  We (well at least me) felt betrayed by the institution, and even though I would not go back, I wasn’t completely ready for this next phase.  But what has been most challenging, has been finding a church.


Yes, we live in suburbia and we are surrounded by churches.  But I am unwilling to go to a church that thinks it has all the answers.  Or worse yet, that the Bible has all the answers.  So any church that says: 

We believe that both the Old and New Testaments are literally God's own words, recorded for us through the words of human authors. We believe that the Bible is without error in its original writings . The Bible is complete, and is not to be "added to or subtracted from." 

Is not for me.  Nor do I want to attend a church that is promoting (often subtly) white supremacy, replacement theory, or any form of homophobia.  Nor one that is still wrapped up in the culture wars of the UMC.  Get over it.


So what am I looking for?  A church that shares the love of Jesus Christ, is engaged actively in social justice, and full of hospitality for all.


Pipe dream?  I sure hope not.


We have attended two churches that we have some historical connection with.  One the church that I attended through seventh grade and was confirmed at (a picture of my confirmation class is on the wall).  And also the church that a friend was pastor at, and retired from.  In both cases, we made sure that the church had our contact information.  At one of them we spoke with the pastor and at the other we spoke with the person in charge of new members.  Have we heard from either one since?  Nope.  Not a thing.


We wonder why the church is dying across the land and fewer and fewer people are willing to call themselves followers of Jesus?  Young people have no interest in a church that is judgmental or self-centered.  Both of those qualities do not represent the Jesus I have come to know.  


It breaks my heart to watch the self-destruction of “United Methodism”.  Much like our current political climate, there are no “winners” as we try to destroy each other.  Any church that engages in the back and forth that has been going on, does not represent the love of Jesus.


Will we find a church?  To be honest, I do not know.  The local church has been central to my 62 years of life.  Yes I have seen many changes in that institution, some good and some, well, some not so good.  But it truly feels weird being on the outside.


Until we (you know that royal “we”) stop putting our own priorities ahead of Jesus.  Whatever, and however good intentioned those priorities may be; there will not be a church.  At least not a church that is in harmony with Jesus.   Carl Jung once said: “As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.”

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a vision of a new type of congregation. One that will give half of all receipts to Support nutritional programs both locally and abroad. Congregants would be required to participate in nutrition/food programs in a variety of ways.