Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Favorite Hymns (and how they shape me)

It was my intention to sit down and write yesterday, but getting the HOA 2025 Budget revised, and preparing for our next trip seemed to bog me down.  I really should be spending this morning preparing my sermon for Sunday; I have been invited to preach at the Little Point Sable Church in Shelby, Michigan, but alas, I think I will do this first,

Last week, Nancy and I attended the funeral of a friend’s mother, while that is not a surprising activity, what made it interesting was Mrs. Newcomb had just recently celebrated her 109th birthday.  I have never known anyone who lived as long as her (I do have an aunt who is 103 and another who is 100).  I haven’t seen her since around the time she turned 100, but WOW, 109 years old.  The funeral was well done, and the pastor of her church led the service.  Where this is leading me is to one of the hymns that was played as a part of the service.


There are two hymns, in the United Methodist Hymnal, that stand out to me.  Both of them enlighten my theology and worldview.  The first is: “This is My Song”, sung to the tune Finlandia.  The music, Finlandia was composed by Jean Sibelius.  It is one of those songs that most people recognize, even if they don’t know the words, partly because the song with various words spread throughout the world.  The version we sing, the words were written in 1934 by Lloyd Stone, and 1939 by Georgia Harkness.  I don’t think I need to remind you of what was going on in the world at that time.  These words are a powerful reminder that God is not controlled by any sect or nation.  If you are not familiar with the song, I would suggest this version. This Is my Song (hymn) (8:45 am)


This is my prayer as we move through what is proving to be a violent and unsettled time in our country.  The second hymn is one that was written by Natalie Sleeth in 1986.  But it is a song that I remember even earlier than that.  Natalie was married to Ronald Sleeth, a professor of Homiletics at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston, Illinois.  They were friends of my parents, and I swear that I heard that song before it was published.  I know it made its debut shortly before Ron’s funeral in 1985, it is of course, "Hymn of Promise".


The song has almost a child-like simplicity to it, yet the words; as Natalie wrote, ponder "the ideas of life, death, spring and winter, Good Friday and Easter, and the whole reawakening of the world that happens every spring."  The final verse is the one that tears me up every time, using a phrase from T.S.Eliot "in our end is our beginning," she goes on and reminds us that at the end of the day – God is with us.


I cannot think of two hymns we need to have on our lips every day now.  God is not only the God of the white evangelical church, not the God alone of the USA, God is the God of everyone.  As Jesus reminds us when he shares the “greatest commandment”.  (Luke 10:25f)

An expert in the Law of Moses stood up and asked Jesus a question to see what he would say. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to have eternal life?”

Jesus answered, “What is written in the Scriptures? How do you understand them?”

The man replied, “The Scriptures say, ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength, and mind.’ They also say, ‘Love your neighbors as much as you love yourself.’ ”

Jesus said, “You have given the right answer. If you do this, you will have eternal life.”

But the man wanted to show that he knew what he was talking about. So he asked Jesus, “Who are my neighbors?”


Of course, that is the big question, who are my neighbors?  In Luke, Jesus clearly answers that question as he shares the story of the Good Samaritan.  If you don’t fully understand the subtleties in that story take some time to find out about it.  Then you will know who your neighbor really is.


These are my favorite hymns.  They continue to shape my worldview and the choices I make.  What shapes your worldview and your choices?


No comments: