Tuesday, March 25, 2008

O Jerusalem

I picked up this book a while back at the local library in their book sale section. I figured for a $.25 I couldn't go wrong. After getting back from Israel, I needed a Jerusalem fix so I began to read it. WOW.

I had never heard of Laurie King, or her Mary Russell novels before. Mary Russell becomes the apprentice of Sherlock Holmes and Ms. King has Russell narrating the stories much like Watson does in the great Sir Arthur Conan Doyle books. I loved the book. Maybe because she does such a good job describing the land of Israel and in particular the Old City of Jerusalem. I was walking down many of the same streets with Russell and Homes, even if the story was set 100 years ago.

It is interesting to read the various reviews on Amazon about the book and the series (this was the 5th in the Mary Russell series). Why people connect with a book is always fascinating.

If you are interested in a good mystery, and want to experience Jerusalem I highly recommend this book. I am looking forward to reading some of her other books.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting, Steve. I might give it a try and order the book on tape version for my rides to work. I just finished Change of Heart by Jody Picoult. It was fascinating and I always find her novels thought provoking. Having learned about the (non-included) gospels in your first Wrestling With God classes, I felt like I had a better understanding of the novel. Give it a try.....Diane