Friday, December 12, 2008

Compassion

Interesting day today.

Went to the wife of a member's funeral --- held at a local funeral home.
The service started about 10 minutes late because the priest showed up late (plus he had never met the family so he needed to talk with them for a little bit.)

It was the coldest --- most un-compassionate service that I can recall.

The priest wanted to make sure that we prayed the person into heaven --- but other than inserting her name into a slot into his prayerbook he never mentioned her.

I could write so much more . . . but that would not be nice.

It made me think of the "standard" funeral that I do for families that I have no relationship with, and how I need to do some things differently. Especially the part where we talk about the need to suffer --- just like Jesus did. Is that really what God wants us to do --- suffer? Or have the powers that be used that as a means to keep everyone in line? Just a thought.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I beg to differ with you.... you did a funeral in 2002 for a man you never met...but he was big brother to one of your best friends, who you need to do one for in a couple of days. You went to meet the wife and kids at a restaurant in town and were as personable and kind to them as if they were your own members of your church. I think you need to be as kind to yourself as you are to others. Pastor Steve, you are a very compassionate person, and I have only met you twice.