Friday, November 18, 2016

Prayer for healing

Here is the prayer that I prayed on Sunday.  Some people heard it very differently so I thought it was important to share.  I hope it is/was a prayer calling for us to come together as followers of Jesus and help bring healing to our nation.  I would love to know your thoughts.  I almost never write out a prayer but I was lead to, knowing how important this past Sunday was in our country.  I also felt very led by the Spirit to pray this prayer.  I have had numerous people share with me how they feel threatened and/or afraid, and I felt that I had to address that.

I hope and pray that we, as followers of Jesus can indeed rise up and proclaim the values that he teaches us.  I also believe that this would have been my prayer regardless of which candidate won --- it speaks more about where we are as a nation than where we are as an electorate.

----------------

Gracious God, we thank you that YOU are still God.
We gather today, still dealing with the election in our country.
We acknowledge that this is a hard time for many
And we pray that those who’s candidates won can show grace to those who are struggling
And those whose candidate’s lost can recommit themselves to the values that they hold dear.
But for both side, we pray that we can find common ground.
The only way America can be great is when we recognize that this is a nation for ALL of us and not just some --- and that together is what makes us strong and great.

So we pray today for President elect Trump --- we pray that he will listen to your spirit and be guided by your gracious love.

We pray for our brothers and sisters who feel like the country has let them down.
Who wonder if there is a place for them because they are:
            A legal emigrant
            Or maybe even illegal
            LGBT
            Hispanic
            Black
            Other minority

Using the words of Rev Dr Martin Luther King
"Hate is too big a burden to bear.  I have decided to love."
Heal our land, O Lord.

Help us to Rise Up and carry forward your message of Grace and Love

Remind us of the powerful message of Maya Angelou
You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
Weakened by my soulful cries.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.

Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.
It is in Jesus name we pray.  Amen

1 comment:

Tree said...

I'm glad that there's a flock with you to point the way. They may never know how blessed they are, many of us never do until that time has passed. I admire your peaceful, tenacious conviction & I hope those embers are bright & warm for much time to come. We need it now more than ever.