Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Island of the Mad


I have been a fan of Laurie R. King’s Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes books since I stumbled across O Jerusalem many, many years ago.  I love stories set in Israel/Palestine and Jerusalem is my favorite city in the world. 

In Island of the Mad, King once again takes you on an adventure that is worthy of the best mystery writers.  What I appreciate more than anything else is her constant sense of detail.  When we are taken inside Bedlam I could smell the place and hear the sounds that were going on.  And having never been to Venice, I felt like I have been and can’t wait to go.

The thing that surprised me the most is how well King did and bringing some of the issues that we are struggling with today with the wit and wisdom of 1925.  There are some lessons to be learned if we are willing to open our eyes and ears.

No comments: