Sunday, May 19, 2019

Tools For The Journey


John 14:15-21 (The Message)
“If you love me, show it by doing what I’ve told you. I will talk to the Father, and he’ll provide you another Friend so that you will always have someone with you. This Friend is the Spirit of Truth. The godless world can’t take him in because it doesn’t have eyes to see him, doesn’t know what to look for. But you know him already because he has been staying with you, and will even be in you!

“I will not leave you orphaned. I’m coming back. In just a little while the world will no longer see me, but you’re going to see me because I am alive and you’re about to come alive. At that moment you will know absolutely that I’m in my Father, and you’re in me, and I’m in you.

“The person who knows my commandments and keeps them, that’s who loves me. And the person who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and make myself plain to him.”




This morning is a special day in the life of Meridian Street United Methodist Church.
Today 11 young people stand before you to affirm their ongoing relationship with God and Meridian Street Church through the ritual we call confirmation

I hope they will always remember this day --- I remember my confirmation in 1971

And I remember it every time I have had the privilege to stand before a new class --- memories of my experience
·         my fears
·         my uncertainties
·         my doubts

I know that none of you have it figured out yet --- but let me tell you a little secret --- neither has anyone here --- we are all on a journey of discovery together.

We are at many different places along that journey and together we can help each other grow in our love for God and each other.

But today is not only a special day for those who are being confirmed, it is also a special day for the parents, grandparents, godparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends. 
And it should be a special day for each of us who has gathered here today, and who call this community home.

Confirmation is a reminder that there is a new generation --- a new generation who will experience God and the world differently than we have

A new generation to lead the church --- to lead the Christian community --- as it faces the challenges of this new day.

And I would be lying if I didn't recognize that this is a challenging time in the life of the Church --- particularly the United Methodist Church.
·         No doubt you have seen in the news of the confirmation class from Omaha that chose NOT to join the UMC at this time because of our dysfunction over the issue of human sexuality
·         some of you have raised this very same concern

To be honest --- it is not all that different than when I stood up in front of the First United Methodist Church in Roselle IL, to be confirmed. 

We were still gripped in the midst of a war that was splitting our nation and many of our churches.
·         Over 3 and a half million children of God died during this war
·         Over 2 million of those deaths were civilians (and many of them were children)
·         It was a confusing, conflicted and difficult time and many churches were stuck in the middle of trying to be supportive of our country and yet following the teachings of Jesus (which are not always aligned with our countries values)

What I have appreciated about you --- is your desire to wrestle with some of these perplexing questions --- that quite frankly many adults want to avoid --- because you know they will not just go away if we just ignore them
·         I am thankful for the brave persons in the church who stood up in the past
          * over the issue of slavery
          * over unfair labor practices
          * over Jim Crow and segregation
          * over "evil and injustice in whatever form it presents itself"
·         And I am thankful for you --- and the voices that you bring to the table.  Voices that you shared as you re-wrote the vows into a language that made sense and spoke to you.
We believe that all persons have a choice and voice to choose the right way --- God’s way --- and resist and stand up to the injustice we see all around us.  We will stand up and not just wait and watch others.

Rev. Dr. William J. Barber, II in a college commencement speech to the class of 2019 said:
“I’m here to tell you, if you graduate and get up and get together and get involved, love can take on hate, mercy can take on meanness, justice can take on injustice, truth can defeat lies.

You cannot merely get a job and a car and quarantine your life. Your graduation is more than just getting another slice of materialism. You must stand against injustice and be part of reviving the heart of this nation.”

I hope all the "adults" here this morning follow your lead and join with you in: "resisting evil, injustice, and oppression in whatever forms they present themselves"

That they too will: We will stand up and not just wait and watch others.

Earlier this year --- when I was leading the confirmation class one Sunday morning I asked you as a group why you were going through confirmation
          Everyone who was there answered the same way:
                   "because my parents made me"

Last weekend, I asked that same question as I met with each of you individually --- and the six of you that I personally met with all answered the same way.
          But this time it was
                    Because I want to!

          The choice is yours --- it really always has been

But the other question that Matt and I asked was --- "Now that confirmation is finished, what are YOU going to do to continue your spiritual journey"

Your answers were amazing --- I am so proud of each of you

You understand something that even your parents might not understand --- this is not the end of the journey --- this is only the beginning.
          You have not graduated

          Instead you have said that you are willing to take responsibility for your journey

But you are not alone

You are never alone

You have all the tools that you need for this journey
·         You have a God who loves you
          A God who loves you for the person that you are --- right now
And God will never --- ever --- abandon you --- even if you wander away
·         You have a community that loves you and will support you as you wrestle with life's challenges.
Even if you make some poor choices --- may you know that this is ALWAYS a safe haven

·         You have your mentors who have walked beside you
          Matt & I
          Rick
          Bethany, Wendy, Lisa

·         You have each other --- you have come to appreciate and respect each other.  And may you always celebrate what each of you brings to the table
As we studied spiritual gifts you saw that each of you has different gifts --- but together, those gifts make the body whole. 
We need each other!

Let me close with these thoughts from Paul when he wrote to the church at Philippi
Philippians 1:3-6, 9-11  (The Message)
I thank my God every time I remember you, constantly praying with joy in every one of my prayers for all of you, . . . And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you to determine what is best, so that in the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God.

Every time you cross my mind, I break out in exclamations of thanks to God. Each exclamation is a trigger to prayer. I find myself praying for you with a glad heart. I am so pleased that you have continued on in this with us, believing and proclaiming God’s Message, from the day you heard it right up to the present. There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears.

So this is my prayer: that your love will flourish and that you will not only love much but well. Learn to love appropriately. You need to use your head and test your feelings so that your love is sincere and intelligent, not sentimental gush. Live a lover’s life, circumspect and exemplary, a life Jesus will be proud of: bountiful in fruits from the soul, making Jesus Christ attractive to all, getting everyone involved in the glory and praise of God.

No comments: