Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Shadows, Generosity and Sex



In the past couple of weeks I have finished three more books that I want to lift up to you.


The first is a novel that I read for fun. It is Robert W. Walker’s Shadows In The White City. I loved Devil in the White City (by Erik Larson), so the title fascinated me. It is a well written story of Chicago and the issue of homelessness during the year 1893 (a problem that has yet to be solved). If you like mysteries and historical fiction then this is a good book for you. I will tell you that I was a little disappointed with the ending. This is obviously going to be a series.


A couple weeks ago I read Kirk Nowery’s REVOLUTIONARY GENEROSITY. It was sent to me by INJOY Stewardship Services. Kirk is the president of INJOY. I have not seen this book available commercially yet. Parts of it were excellent — other parts drove me absolutely crazy. In terms of books on stewardship I would give this a 7 or 8. I just ignored the stuff that I totally disagreed with and focused on the rest, which was very good.


I mentioned earlier that I loved Rob Bell’s book Velvet Elvis. I just finished his newest Sex God, and I was very disappointed. I have great respect for Rob Bell and his ministry at Mars Hill (although many times I am fairly convinced that he has just repackaged fundamental Christianity in sheeps clothing that is palatable to many people). Sex God wandered all over the place. His chapter on marriage, however, was outstanding. I listen to Rob’s "sermons" from his podcast every week and you have to get used to his style which is very evident in the book. Overall, I don’t think I would recommend you run out and get this book.

2 comments:

Jeremiah H. said...

If you liked Devil in the White City, I thought you might be interested in a documentary narrated by Gene Wilder called EXPO – Magic of the White City. Inecom Entertainment Company used High Definition footage to recreate the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair on DVD. Here are a link for the trailer: www.columbianexpo.com

Michael Krahn said...

Hey,

I just finished writing a series on Rob's book "Velvet Elvis" that I think you'd be interested in.

Read and join in on the discussion at:

http://michaelkrahn.wordpress.com/rob-bell/

Michael Krahn