Monday, January 27, 2014

International Holocaust Remembrance Day

Today is "International Holocaust Remembrance Day", a memorial day for the victims of the Nazi genocide that resulted in the annihilation of 6 million Jews, 2 million Gypsies, 15,000 homosexual people and millions of others. This remembrance day was created by the United Nations General Assembly in November 2005.

One of the most powerful places I have ever visited is the Holocaust Memorial in Israel.  I have yet to visit the one in Skokie, IL (close to where I grew up) or Washington, DC.  I have been to the Memorial many times, and each time I am gripped by the absolute care for life that we often exhibit.

I took this picture on my visit in 2006.  It is of a train box car headed to oblivion.


There are many more pictures from Yad Vashem on my flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dukie1/sets/72157616994304005/with/3458583597/

No comments: