Friday, November 07, 2014

ACCORDING TO LUKE: WHAT MUST I DO

Luke 18:18-30  (NRSV)
A certain ruler asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. You know the commandments: ‘You shall not commit adultery; You shall not murder; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; Honor your father and mother.’” He replied, “I have kept all these since my youth.” When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “There is still one thing lacking. Sell all that you own and distribute the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.” But when he heard this, he became sad; for he was very rich. Jesus looked at him and said, “How hard it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God! Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

Those who heard it said, “Then who can be saved?” He replied, “What is impossible for mortals is possible for God.”

Then Peter said, “Look, we have left our homes and followed you.” And he said to them, “Truly I tell you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, who will not get back very much more in this age, and in the age to come eternal life.”


OK are you ready for this --- this is one of my favorite passages in the Bible
          SERIOUSLY!

This is one of those passages that tell us exactly what we are supposed to be doing.
I don't what to hear it
YOU don't want to hear it
But Jesus is pretty clear!

Today we celebrate ALL SAINT'S DAY
Sheri and I read through a list of all kinds of people who have died in the past year

Some of them you know

Others are just names to you

I average about 25 funerals a year that I preside over
          I attend a number of others

What is it --- at a funeral --- that makes a person stand out?
          How much money they had?
                   How much stuff they had accumulated?

Or is it
          How much they loved?
                   How many people were changed because they knew them?

When I die ---- when you die --- WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BE REMEMBERED FOR?

That is the question that Jesus is really asking each of us this morning.

We have been sold a bill of goods and are convinced that possessions bring us happiness --- but they really don't

So let me share with you SEVEN lies that most of us have come to believe, that rob us from living to our full potential.

Now you may not have fallen into the trap of all seven
          But I am going to be honest with you
                   All seven of these have some level of reality in my life

and to be honest with you . . .
I am pretty convinced that my health issues this year (my vertigo and back issues) are a warning

God (and Nancy) are, not so subtly telling me, if you don't rearrange your life, you are going to get that funeral a lot sooner than you bargained for


Are you ready?  SEVEN LIES THAT ROB US

1.       MY POSSESSIONS ARE ADDING VALUE

          Books --- make me look intelligent

          Cars --- Make me look successful
                       Honda fit vs. Hyundai Sonata
          House
·         The United States now has 2.3 billion square feet of self-storage space. (the self storage association notes that, with more than seven square feet for every man, woman and child, it’s now “physically possible that every American could stand — all at the same time — under the total canopy of self-storage roofing.”)
·         Fifty percent of [self-storage] renters are now simply storing what won’t fit in their homes — even though the size of the average American house had almost doubled in the previous 50 years, to 2,300 square feet.

2.       MONEY WILL BRING HAPPINESS
          ACCOLADES WILL BRING FULFILLMENT

Always want more and think that will make us happy

Bigger raise --- means I am better person

1 Timothy 6:9 (NRSV)
But those who want to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.

1 Timothy 6:9 The Message
But if it’s only money these leaders are after, they’ll self-destruct in no time. Lust for money brings trouble and nothing but trouble. Going down that path, some lose their footing in the faith completely and live to regret it bitterly ever after.

The thinking goes like this: The busier we are, the more we can accomplish and the more respect we can earn.

And the more respect and accolades we receive, the more we can surely prove our worth and value to others.

Unfortunately, if you are trying to find fulfillment in someone else’s opinion of you, you will never find it. You will always be left searching (and working) for more.

3.       EVERYTHING IS IMPORTANT

Our world has a tendency to make everything appear urgent, important, and beneficial to our lives.

But not everything is.

Those small things add up and rob us of our happiness because we are too busy chasing . . . EVERYTHING

Warren Buffett ---
"The difference between successful people and really successful people is that really successful people say NO to almost everything.

4.       I AM NEEDED

Pride is defined as holding an excessively high opinion of oneself or one’s importance. And it leads to overwhelmed schedules because of the foolish thinking that follows it: “Nobody else can do what I do.”

5.       I DON'T HAVE A CHOICE
          We almost always have a choice

We choose the debt we have
the house we live in,
the car we drive,
the stuff we by on credit.

Sure there are seasons when we have no choice --- illness is a good example, but they are the exception and not the rule.

6.       I AM MORE PRODUCTIVE IF I AM BUSY

You know the saying --- if you want to get something done, find somebody who is busy.

But is that the goal?

Aren't we searching for opportunities to make a lasting impact --- not just chasing.

And we can't do it all --- I CAN'T DO IT ALL!

Myth of multi-tasking
          Seminar on how to multi-task better
                   Their answer DON’T multi-task

We need to say no to some things, so we can say YES to the right things

7.       QUIETNESS IS LAZINESS

Have you ever just tried to be quiet?

Turn off the phone, the music, the computer and TV and just be quiet and spend time with God.

It is hard as heck to do --- because we have convinced ourselves that doing that is WASTING TIME --- but there may be no better use of your time then just a quiet conversation with God.

Seven lies that rob us of our happiness

1.       MY POSSESSIONS ARE ADDING VALUE
2.       MONEY WILL BRING HAPPINESS
          ACCOLADES WILL BRING FULFILLMENT
3.       EVERYTHING IS IMPORTANT
4.       I AM NEEDED
5.       I DON'T HAVE A CHOICE
6.       I AM MORE PRODUCTIVE IF I AM BUSY
7.       QUIETNESS IS LAZINESS

How many have you bought into?

So, what am I going to do?

I am going to work with the SPRC and the staff of Ridge Church to look at my schedule and determine

What are the things I need to do

What are the things the staff needs to do

What are the things YOU need to do
          (Sheri)

I have to discover when to say YES
          But even more importantly --- HOW TO SAY NO

When we ask Jesus what we must do to inherit eternal life (life in Jesus) the answer is remarkably simple --- love people more and stuff less

And when I die --- and my name is read at Ridge Church on All Saints day, I want you to stop and remember --- not how busy I was --- but how much I loved!

And I want the same for you!


Can we pray about this?

No comments: