Wednesday, October 17, 2018

FAKE NEWS: God Said It, I Believe It, That Settles It


Mathew 5:17-20
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. 19 Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.





I have to admit, this is the one topic in this series that I have actually been looking forward to preaching on, because of all the pithy little sayings that Matt and I have been looking at, this one to me, is the most troublesome.

I think next week's topic (Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin) is the most difficult, so I am happy that I left that one for Matt to take a stab at.

But this week we focus on that statement that really came into vogue in the 60's and 70's as the whole issue of the inerrancy of the bible became a major concern.
This was a uniquely North American issue

It was promoted through a number of gospel recordings that presented the idea that God Said It, I Believe it, That Settles it.  
Del Delker recorded a version that many people today still enjoy, but it was the Heritage Singers in 1976 who had the biggest hit with the song. 
The chorus goes:
God said it and I believe it
and that settles it for me
God said it and I believe it
and that settles it for me
Though some may doubt that His word is true
I've chosen to believe it, now how about you?
God said it and I believe it
And that settles it for me

In the fall of 1978, a group of conservative - evangelical Christians gathered in Chicago, in response to the historical critical method of Biblical scholarship that was rapidly becoming more and more popular with Biblical Scholars.

This gathering in Chicago produced what came to be known as the Chicago Statement of Biblical Inerrancy.  This eight-page document was signed by more than 200 evangelical leaders with the aim of defend the position of Biblical inerrancy against a perceived trend toward contextual understandings of Scripture.

In the preface to the document they write:
The authority of Scripture is a key issue for the Christian Church in this and every age. Those who profess faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior are called to show the reality of their discipleship by humbly and faithfully obeying God’s written Word. To stray from Scripture in faith or conduct is disloyalty to our Master. Recognition of the total truth and trustworthiness of Holy Scripture is essential to a full grasp and adequate confession of its authority.

The following Statement affirms this inerrancy of Scripture afresh, making clear our understanding of it and warning against its denial. We are persuaded that to deny it is to set aside the witness of Jesus Christ and of the Holy Spirit and to refuse that submission to the claims of God’s own Word which marks true Christian faith. We see it as our timely duty to make this affirmation in the face of current lapses from the truth of inerrancy among our fellow Christians and misunderstanding of this doctrine in the world at large.

I remember clearly when this statement came out. 

I was a student in college and was taking a Bible as Literature course and we had a lively discussion about this proclamation.

It is easy to understand how one could move from this statement to: God Said It, I Believe it, That Settles it.  

The most common Biblical reference that is used to explain this position is found in the 2 Letter to Timothy that has incorrectly been credited to Paul.
2 Timothy 3:16-17    (New Revised Standard Version)
All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.

I bet many of you are familiar with those verses.

But something interesting to note:

At the time of its composition there was no New Testament.
By the time of Paul's death, the only parts of the Bible we had was what we often call the Old Testament --- and even that was not yet codified. 
The Gospels, Acts, Revelation and many of the letters were not written yet; so they could hardly be referred to in this letter.

Even among the Jewish community there was not consensus on what was to become the Hebrew Scriptures.  Some argued for the prophets and writings, along with the Torah --- but others --- did not see them as authoritative. 
For some groups only the Torah was considered inspired by God.

Paul, as a Pharisees, would have seen the prophets and the writings as authoritative; so it is possible that when he wrote "all scripture is inspired by God" he might have been referring to them in response to these other groups.

But another question remains --- what does the author mean by INSPIRED?

Adam Hamilton writes:
In Greek this phrase is just one word, theopneustos.  It appears nowhere else in the Bible, nor as far as we know in other ancient literature, prior to Paul's use of the word here.  It comes from two words: theo, which means God, and pneustos, which refers to breath, wind, or spirit. . . . We can say for certain Paul believed in some sense all the sacred writings were influenced by God.  Precisely how, we can only speculate.

The question remains --- does inspired mean God actually said it?
          Think about that for a second

If you believe that the bible is the inerrant word of God --- that everything in it is what God proclaimed --- let me as you a couple of questions.

How do you feel about bathrooms in a church?
I am pretty convinced that someone on the original building committee was a literalist

In Deuteronomy you find this interesting passage:
Deuteronomy 23:12-14      (The Message)
Mark out an area outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourselves. Along with your weapons have a stick with you. After you relieve yourself, dig a hole with the stick and cover your excrement. God, your God, strolls through your camp; he’s present to deliver you and give you victory over your enemies. Keep your camp holy; don’t permit anything indecent or offensive in God’s eyes.

I think that our building committee wasn't too sure that one should go to the bathroom inside the church, hence why there were so few bathrooms in the original building.

It is easy to see how this passage --- taken literally --- could lead one to the conclusion that bathrooms are not allowed inside the church.

What are some other thing we would need to make sure we don't do
·         Don't wear blended fabrics or sow two different seeds in your fields (Leviticus 19:19)
·         eliminate pork and shrimp from your diet (Leviticus 11:7-12)
·         don't trim the edges of your beard (Leviticus 19:27)
·         Children who curse or strike their parents or who are persistently rebellious should be put to death (Exodus 21:15 & Deuteronomy 21:18-21)
·         Don't mow your yard or clean your house on Saturdays (the Sabbath), or you can be put to death (Exodus 35:2)
·         For women, if you are not a virgin when you marry, the men of your town are to stone you to death (Deut 22:21)

And I could go on and on --- but I think you get the point.

Is there anyone here who, as I read those prohibitions thought to themselves: God Said It, I Believe it, That Settles it?

I kind of doubt it --- BUT --- I know what the response is --- these are all in the Old Testament and we are not bound by the Old Testament
Have you heard that one before?

What about when Jesus says this in Matthew?
Matthew 5:17-20     (New Revised Standard Version)
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus doesn’t seem to be suggesting that the Hebrew law is no longer valid --- instead a literal understanding is that we are to keep all 613 laws of the Hebrew Bible.

But even Jesus never seemed to interpret the law in a God Said It, I Believe it, That Settles it, kind of way.

He often gave his own, unique interpretations to some of the laws found in the Hebrew Bible.

Like Jesus, we are called to interpret the bible

·         How many of us believe that women should be silent in the church?
·         Or submissive to their husbands?

Yet both of those are in the New Testament

Slavery was justified through the quoting of scripture

I doubt that there are many who really believe that God Said It, I Believe it, That Settles it
          We all interpret scripture

My problem with people who tend to use the phrase: God Said It, I Believe it, That Settles it, is that it is often used to beat up others.

I have never heard a person quote the Shema:
          Mark 12:29-32 (NRSV)
‘Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the Lord is one; you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ The second is this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
And add to it the tag: God Said It, I Believe it, That Settles it

I also don't believe that it is how the authors of our biblical texts understood what they were doing.

As I have studied the scriptures, what I have come to understand is that the writers did not claim that God was dictating to them --- instead they were writing their own understanding, insights and interpretations regarding the will of God.

The other day, a friend posted a picture of this scripture on FaceBook.
          2 Timothy 4:3-4      (Living Bible)
For there is going to come a time when people won’t listen to the truth but will go around looking for teachers who will tell them just what they want to hear. They won’t listen to what the Bible says but will blithely follow their own misguided ideas. 

It of course created a lively discussion. 

Mainly how wayward most people had become. 

Unfortunately, one of the key words in this quote isn't even in the original text.  And that word is BIBLE.  "They won’t listen to what the Bible says", The word Bible isn't there. 

And that additional word changes the meaning of the text.

The picture was quoting the Living Bible which is a paraphrase and not a word for word translation.  A more accurate translation would be:
2 Timothy 4:3-4      (New Revised Standard Version)
For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound doctrine, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander away to myths.

Hearing that, you can see one of the problems is that the Bible itself is a translation, and unless we can read and comprehend ancient Hebrew and Greek we can never fully know just how good (or accurate) any translation really is.

I read the Bible to hear God speak through it --- I try to listen between the lines and understand the context in which a particular story was written.
          I interpret
                   Sometimes I do a good job interpreting,
                   Sometimes I probably don't do as well

But the bottom line for me is --- the Bible is not God --- it is, quoting Paul in his letter to the Corinthians --- "a mirror through which we see dimly"

A.J. Jacobs and Rachel Held Evans both tried to spend a year living the bible literally.  Taking every command and decree seriously and applying it to their lives.
          Neither was very successful

What both of them came to realize is that we all pick and choose the scriptures we hold near and dear --- the important thing --- is to pick the right things.

The Bible is a life giving book, and I believe we need to spend more time in study and interpretation of what it means to our lives today.

I don't have all the right answers.  But I am willing to join others on the journey of discovery.

As I was working on this sermon, I came across a Peanuts comic strip that has hung on my bulletin board at home for years.

For me it is a great reminder


It is my prayer that you join me on the journey of experiencing God.

Adam Hamilton suggests that instead of: God Said It, I Believe it, That Settles it; maybe we should try:
God influenced it, I read, study, and sometimes wrestle with it.  And as I interpret it in the light of Jesus Christ, I hear God speak through it and seek to live its words as best I can.

No comments: