Tuesday, May 18, 2021

What To Do: It’s Okay to Not Be Okay

Ruth 1:11-21 (Common English Bible)

Naomi replied, “Turn back, my daughters. Why would you go with me? Will there again be sons in my womb, that they would be husbands for you? Turn back, my daughters. Go. I am too old for a husband. If I were to say that I have hope, even if I had a husband tonight, and even more, if I were to bear sons— would you wait until they grew up? Would you refrain from having a husband? No, my daughters. This is more bitter for me than for you, since the Lord’s will has come out against me.”


Then they lifted up their voices and wept again. Orpah kissed her mother-in-law, but Ruth stayed with her. Naomi said, “Look, your sister-in-law is returning to her people and to her gods. Turn back after your sister-in-law.”


But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to abandon you, to turn back from following after you. Wherever you go, I will go; and wherever you stay, I will stay. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God. Wherever you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord do this to me and more so if even death separates me from you.” When Naomi saw that Ruth was determined to go with her, she stopped speaking to her about it.


So both of them went along until they arrived at Bethlehem. When they arrived at Bethlehem, the whole town was excited on account of them, and the women of the town asked, “Can this be Naomi?”


She replied to them, “Don’t call me Naomi, but call me Mara, for the Almighty has made me very bitter. I went away full, but the Lord has returned me empty. Why would you call me Naomi, when the Lord has testified against me, and the Almighty has deemed me guilty?”





Isn’t it amazing how life can turn on a dime?


March 15th, 2020, we met for the last time at 5500 N Meridian Street.


That evening Nancy and I held a reunion for those who went to Israel, at our home --- maybe 15 attended.


By the time we woke up the next morning everything had changed --- the world ground to a halt


Then this past Thursday afternoon, just as the weekly email with my thoughts on re-opening the church arrived in your inbox, the CDC announced a major shift in policy.


What does it all mean?


First and foremost, it says that if you have not gotten vaccinated ---

NOW is the time to do so.

Vaccines make all the difference.


It also seemed to affirm that I should continue to plan for re-opening in-person worship on June 13th at 10 am.

For those who are not ready to return to the building, I want to remind you that we will continue to livestream and post the service on Facebook.


Yes, I know there is one important question that remains --- and I have been asked this question numerous times ---will we have donuts?

Frankly I don’t know


But the one thing I do know --- it will NOT be a return to normal --- we cannot go back to the way things were.

 

As we return, we will have only 1 service for this summer --- so you may not be able to sit in the same place, some people will not return, others may come.


I am thinking that may not be a bad thing.


Sitting somewhere different will allow you to experience the sanctuary from a new perspective.

It will give you a different angle to view things

Different people to sit near and to meet (maybe for the first time)


We are creatures of habit

But all of our habits have undergone radical change.


And as we experience this NEW NORMAL there will be times where we do not know what to do


Today we are going to look at a fascinating story from the Hebrew Bible in which nothing seemed to go as planned.  


It is a story of how people learn to adapt when things aren’t okay.


Our story opens with a man named Elimelech, his wife (Naomi) and 2 sons leaving Bethlehem to go across the Jordan river to the country of Moab (modern Jordan) because there was a famine in the land.


While there were living in Moab, Elimelech dies.

The two sons each marry Moabite woman, Orpah and Ruth.


After being in Moab about 10 years BOTH sons die.


Things are not going quite like they had planned when they left Bethlehem to take refuge in Moab.


Naomi has heard that the famine is over in Bethlehem and decides that it is time to return home.  


It is here that the story Dan read begins:


After a short while on the road, Naomi told her two daughters-in-law, “Go back. Go home and live with your mothers. And may God treat you as graciously as you treated your deceased husbands and me. May God give each of you a new home and a new husband!” She kissed them and they cried openly.


Naomi is going back to Bethlehem --- in the hope that someone will take her in


She is urging Orpah and Ruth to return to their family homes in the hope that they too will be welcomed home --- and able to find husbands.


But they refused to leave, Naomi insists and eventually Orpah relents and returns to her family home.


In one of the most beautiful passages in the bible text --- Ruth refuses to leave Naomi and says:

“Don’t force me to leave you; don’t make me go home. Where you go, I go; and where you live, I’ll live. Your people are my people, your God is my god; where you die, I’ll die, and that’s where I’ll be buried, so help me God—not even death itself is going to come between us!”


Before we go any further --- we must acknowledge the horrid state that women were in during this period in the history of Israel.  

As the story makes clear --- women were basically items to be bought and sold

They had no agency on their own


When I hear people say --- we need to return to biblical values --- this is not one that I want to see us EVER to return to.


I do not believe that this is God’s values

Women are not commodities

They are children of God

Made in the image of God

(Can I get an Amen for that!)


Unfortunately, the Israelite people did not understand that truth at the time.

Because of that --- women were forced to compromise themselves.

And there are way too many biblical stories that highlight that tragedy


While we hear Ruth’s beautiful promise to stand with Naomi --- the sad truth is --- by doing so she makes both of their situations even more precarious.

It is less likely that a MAN would be willing to take in both of them


And at the end of this section of the story of Ruth --- something rather interesting happens.


Naomi wants to change her name.


She goes from being called, “Naomi,” which means pleasant; 

to being called, “Mara,” which means bitter. 


She is choosing to be defined by her bitterness, 

so much so that she literally renames herself. 


In her state of “not being okay,” she expresses her anger toward God, whom she feels has “brought calamity” upon her. 

How does she do that?

Not by turning away from God 

or disbelieving in God

Rather, she calls out to God in prayer.


No one in the story 

Not God --- Not the religious leaders --- nor her family chastise Naomi for having these negative feelings or for her being honest to God.


I encouraged you to read the entire book of Ruth this week --- I hope that you did.


But if you didn’t (and even if you did) I want to invite you again to read the Book of Ruth --- it is just four short chapters --- because I will pick up on this story next week.


Life can change in an instant.


A week ago Saturday, 39-year-old Maris Hastings died suddenly of a pulmonary embolism.  Her husband Steven had died nine years earlier and she leaves behind two young children --- Nathaniel and Kiana.


Last Sunday morning, Geoff Klinger was getting ready to go to his parents house to celebrate mother’s day --- his daughter went to check on him and found him dead of a massive heart attack --- he was 54 years old.


Life is fragile and can be upset in an instant.

Life often doesn’t go as planned


All of us have had to do our best to navigate COVID for the past 15 months.

We have missed: 

vacations

Family time

Weddings

Funerals

Everything in between


It is easy to allow the tragedies of life to change us from being pleasant (Naomi) to bitter (Mara)


Have you ever chosen to redefine yourself in a negative way because of something that has happened?

I know I have


Have you ever chosen to stay away from people who are struggling or suffering.

Again --- I know I have


When things don’t go the way that we want --- 

Often our first reaction is to become bitter and blame God. 

It is okay to be angry. 


Expressing anger and fear is a healthy and normal part of anyone’s faith journey. 


We need not fear anger and bitterness in ourselves or others. 

God will not turn us away because we question and doubt.


The Good News is --- no actually --- the GREAT NEWS is God’s love and grace are bigger than our pain and anger. 


Paul reminds us of this in his letter to the people of Corinth.  

It is in his second letter that he writes about how he has been afflicted with trials.  

The image that he uses is that he had a thorn in his flesh.


But it isn’t the thorn that Paul wants us to focus on --- 

what he wants us to remember --- is that God’s grace is enough.


He writes, quoting God: (2 Corinthians 12:9 The Message)

“My grace is enough; it’s all you need.

My strength comes into its own in your weakness.”


Can you think back on moments in your life when God’s grace was enough?


For me --- I often can’t see or experience that grace when I am in the midst of pain and tragedy.


But as time passes, I am often surprised how I can see the love and presence of God.

A God who was present --- even in the midst of my pain.


As we move through this coming week, I want again to encourage you to read the story of Ruth.  

It really won’t take long.  


Listen and see what God is wanting to show you in this story.


Richard Rohr in his daily devotional a few weeks ago was focused on change.  As we struggle with our new reality, I think his words can offer comfort and insight.


He writes:

God puts us in a world of passing things where everything changes and nothing remains the same. The only thing that doesn’t change is change itself. It’s a hard lesson to learn. It helps us appreciate that everything is a gift. We didn’t create it. We don’t deserve it. It will not last, but while we breathe it in, we can enjoy it, and know that it is another moment of God, another moment of life. People who take this moment seriously take every moment seriously, those are the people who are ready for heaven. If religion isn’t leading us into an eternal now, an eternal moment, an always-true moment, an always-love moment, then we have not lived the moment at all.


So Look

Listen

And be present in the moment


Be aware of your surroundings.   

Be aware of those who are struggling around you.


Ask yourself --- 

How can I be supportive and walk alongside another --- regardless of where they are at --- even if they are (like Naomi) bitter and frustrated?


How can I build healthy ways of expressing my honest emotions to God? 

And can I help others to express their honest emotions as well.


I fully believe that God gives us room to not be okay, 

to struggle with our doubts and questions --- our WHY’S --- 

but I also am convinced that God calls us to be together in the midst of our struggles.

That is why community is so important

And why I look forward to having everyone back in this sanctuary real soon.


Who can you be present for this week?


Read Ruth, I believe you will be blessed in doing so.


Next week, we will get --- as Paul Harvey used to say: The Rest of The Story



Loving God,

You are active and alive, always moving and stirring within and around us!

Please be an encouraging wind at our backs,

Giving us open minds and soft hearts to follow where you lead.

Make us flexible and present in each moment,

So that we might embrace compassion by letting go of what we expected.

In your loving name we pray.

Amen.


No comments: