Saturday, May 08, 2021

What to do -- When You’re Struggling with Where God Is Leading You

 Jonah 1:1-3 (The Message)

One day long ago, God’s Word came to Jonah, Amittai’s son: “Up on your feet and on your way to the big city of Nineveh! Preach to them. They’re in a bad way and I can’t ignore it any longer.”


But Jonah got up and went the other direction to Tarshish, running away from God. He went down to the port of Joppa and found a ship headed for Tarshish. He paid the fare and went on board, joining those going to Tarshish—as far away from God as he could get.




I hope that you took some time to read the book of Jonah --- it is one of those books that most people are familiar with but have never read really carefully.


It is the fascinating story of a man named Jonah.  We don’t know much about this Jonah. He is mentioned as a prophet of the northern kingdom of Israel in 2 Kings 14

“He reestablished Israel’s border from Lebo-hamath to the Dead Sea. This was in agreement with the word that the Lord, the God of Israel, spoke through his servant the prophet Jonah, Amittai’s son, who was from Gath-hepher.”


Outside of the book of Jonah and the few references to him in the Gospels of Matthew and Luke, we know nothing about him, and the gospel stories tell us nothing about the person of Jonah.


We do know a great deal about the setting of this story.


As Nancy read to us in the opening of this book, God commands Jonah to: 

“Get up and go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry out against it, for their evil has come to my attention.”


Nineveh was the capital of Assyria. 


What is interesting is there was deep bitterness in the Jewish community toward the Assyrians. 


While the story might be set around the time of the Assyrian conquest of Israel, it is clearly written after that period and the readers clearly have knowledge of the deportation of the northern tribes that took place in 722 BCE.


How could Jonah --- or any other self-respecting Jew have any love or desire to rescue the people of Nineveh from the wrath of God?


Jonah, no doubt thought that the Ninevites deserved judgement and wrath.


So what does he do?


Jonah flees as fast as he can --- because he wants NOTHING to do with saving those people.


Can you blame him?


Who wants to save the other --- who wants to go out of their way to help those whom you don’t believe deserve or are worthy of help?


If you read the story, you know that Jonah flees by boarding a ship going in the opposite direction toward Tarshish.


While at sea a huge storm arises and the sailors, realizing that it is no ordinary storm, cast lots and discover that Jonah is to blame.


Jonah accepts his responsibility and tells the sailors to throw him overboard and if they do as he tells them the storm will cease.


The sailors refuse to throw Jonah overboard and do all they can to lighten the load and outrun the storm --- but they are unable to do so and are in danger of sinking.


The book of Jonah continues:

Then they prayed to God, “O God! Don’t let us drown because of this man’s life, and don’t blame us for his death. You are God. Do what you think is best.”


They took Jonah and threw him overboard. Immediately the sea was quieted down.


The sailors were impressed, no longer terrified by the sea, but in awe of God. They worshiped God, offered a sacrifice, and made vows.


Then God assigned a huge fish to swallow Jonah. Jonah was in the fish’s belly three days and nights.


While in this “great fish” Jonah returns to God in prayer 

--- praying that God remember him in his affliction and giving God thanks.


In one of the funnier verses in the Bible:

“God spoke to the fish, and it vomited up Jonah on the seashore.”


God spoke to Jonah a second time: “Up on your feet and on your way to the big city of Nineveh! Preach to them. They’re in a bad way and I can’t ignore it any longer.”


This time Jonah started off straight for Nineveh, obeying God’s orders


This is where I am always stuck with wondering how seriously Jonah took his task.


Did he say:

“Just forty days more and Nineveh will be overthrown!”

Or

“Just forty days more and Nineveh will be overthrown!”


Regardless of how he did it --- the people repented.


You would think at this point Jonah would be happy --- he saved hundreds of thousands of people.


But clearly, he was not!


Jonah was furious. He lost his temper. He yelled at God, “God! I knew it—when I was back home, I knew this was going to happen! That’s why I ran off to Tarshish! I knew you were sheer grace and mercy, not easily angered, rich in love, and ready at the drop of a hat to turn your plans of punishment into a program of forgiveness!


“So, God, if you won’t kill them, kill me! I’m better off dead!”


If you have never read the end of the book of Jonah --- please take some time --- it is the ultimate pity party.  


The text reflects a deep human tendency to struggle with how wide God’s grace is. 


God reminds Jonah (and us) that God is love --- and is willing to save even those we perceive of as enemies.


In Jewish tradition --- the entire book of Jonah is read every year on Yom Kippur --- the holiest day of the year in Judaism. 

On this Day of Atonement --- Jewish people are called back to God through repentance.


But I think there is another lesson for us ---

This story reminds us how God is often calling us somewhere, or to do something, and the truth is --- we simply don’t want to. 


This story tries to remind us that there is little use in running away from God. 


And yet we often do.


A couple years ago --- someone asked me why I kept talking about the LGBTQI issue --- couldn’t I just let it go.

The funny thing is --- while some of you think I talk about it too much

Others don’t think I talk about it enough


I have reflected on that question for a long time --- and it was as I was reading Nadia Bolz-Weber’s book Shameless and studying the story of Jonah again that the answer seemed to come into clarity.


A number of years ago a young woman in the youth group at a church I was serving came out as gay.


As you can imagine, it was the source of much concern and consternation.

Especially from the parents.


I tried to be supportive --- both to the parents and to the youth

I don’t think the parents were happy because they wanted me to “fix” her


A couple of years later --- this young woman came to realize that she really identified as a male and wanted to begin the transition from woman to man.


I will be honest with you

While I struggle to understand “gayness” and do my best to accept my brothers and sisters who I am convinced were made this way --- I was totally perplexed.


I --- as far as I knew --- never had encountered a “trans” person before


I didn’t know what to do --- or even what I believed about it


Yet, as the pastor, God was calling on me to respond --- to do something.


And like Jonah --- I ran away --- because I didn’t know what to do.


How has God called you?


What has scared you most when God has called you?


And please don’t tell me that God has never called --- because God has --- maybe you are still running from it.


What do you do --- when you are struggling with where God is leading you?


Whatever it is that YOU are running from --- the reality is --- we cannot run away from God.  

We are always surrounded by the presence of God.


And when we run --- it is like running on a treadmill

We might work hard --- but when it stops --- I am always in the same place.


While I may not have done the best I could have at the time dealing with my young trans parishioner --- I know that I grew through the experience

And when they decided to seek surgery and started a GoFundMe campaign I was able to contribute and encourage some others who were struggling to contribute as well.


I didn’t have all understanding --- but I had new understanding from God.


And as I have had to walk through this season in the life of the denomination it has given me new insight.


Even as Jonah ran away and wanted God to punish the Ninevites --- God provided safety and shelter along the way.


And in the end, God shows Jonah that just as God loves and protects him, 

God loves and protects Nineveh, and all creation.


God seems to have a way of getting us where God wants us to be.


So let’s get off the treadmill and back on the ground, 

the path of life, 

helping people to experience God’s grace and love.


Who is God calling you to reach out to --- even when you don’t want to?


Take some time and LISTEN to God

And ask God to give you the courage to GO where God is sending you.



PRAYER

O God, you are our light and our salvation. Living in your presence, we have nothing to fear. So open our hearts and our lives to your word this day. Make us ready to follow you on whatever path Jesus leads us. Cast aside our fears and doubts, and teach us to trust wholly in you. For we ask this in Jesus’ Name, AMEN


No comments: