Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Lenten Thoughts

It’s almost here. I have a hard time believing that Easter is almost upon us. For me, this year has flown by which has been hard because of all the changes that it is bringing. Eleven years ago. When Nancy and I arrived in Munster we brought along with us 3 girls. Jessica was entering the fifth grade, Lindsey was entering second and Haley was about to start Kindergarten. I no longer have three little girls. They are all grown up.

Jessica has been in Australia since February and will stay there until the middle of July. She is studying this semester at Flinders University in Adelaide, South Australia. From my conversations with her, she is having a great time. Lindsey is a senior at Munster High School and will be attending Indiana University this fall. And Haley, little Haley in her Dorothy shoes (red sparkly shoes) just turned 16, so you know what that means (you have been warned!) Time goes by so quickly.

I have been thinking about life a lot lately (working on a “final sermon” will make you do that). What I have come to realize is that no matter how hard you try to capture life – to slow it down – to control it – the less control you have. Life moves on with or without us. The goal is to enjoy each and every moment that you have, because none of us know how many moments are available to us.

I know that I am the poster child for saying things like that but not heading my own advice. But maybe if we each held each other accountable, we would all do better at slowing down and smelling the roses.

As Easter draws closer – remember the one for whom we celebrate. Jesus, the Lord who invites us to enjoy the journey of life; the one who invites us to find shalom in each and every day. And if Easter teaches us anything, it should be teaching us that at the end of the day – a new day will dawn. Thanks for letting me join you on the journey.

No comments: